Consulting engineers offer professional engineering services and expertise to both public and private sector organizations. Consulting engineers also act as independent agents and advocates for their clients, and are responsible for finding innovative solutions to technical problems and provide strategic advice to business and management. In Canada, these licensed professionals offer a wide array of services and expertise in areas not only related to engineering and science, but also in economic sectors such as energy, resource development, environmental protection, and manufacturing. Firms that specialize in consulting engineering are responsible for designing and building much of our public infrastructure. The solutions and services that consulting engineers provide include:
- pre-feasibility and investment studies
- social-impact and environmental-impact studies
- preliminary and final designs for construction or engineering work
- supervision and inspection of construction work, including on-site project management
- technical assistance and advice
- asset-management studies.